A winter and summer resort in the heart of the Green Mountains.
Stowe, Vermont is known as many things: The ski capital of the East, the home of the Trapp Family Lodge, the place to go for fall foliage, and so on. Stowe is surely one of the top resort towns in a state that has a lot of them. It is a great town to visit in all seasons; summer is a time of hiking, biking, and canoeing, fall is when the tourists bring their cameras to capture the falling leaves, and winter and spring are all about Stowe skiing.
Stowe itself is a classic New England village, complete with a church steeple set against the hills, many antique shops lining the village streets, and cider mills and maple sugar barns scattered about the area. In addition, the old inns and lodges allow you to experience the charming atmosphere for an extended period of time. If you are looking for a great New England experience, Stowe, Vermont should be on anyone's list.
FAST FACTS FOR STOWE, VERMONT:
- Population (2000 census): 4,339
- Elevation: 725 feet
- Area Code: 802
- ZIP Code: 05672
- Distance from Burlington, VT: 35 miles
- Location: Map of Stowe, VT
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND STOWE:
- Cold Hollow Cider Mill--This quaint shop a few miles south of Stowe is a uniquely New England spot to visit; people flock to the Cold Hollow Cider Mill every fall to taste the cider, buy maple syrup, and browse the aisles of gifts that could only be found in New England.
- Route 100--One of the most scenic roads in the entire country, Route 100 meanders is way from Massachusetts to the Canadian border. The stretch through the Stowe area is particularly beautiful.
- Smuggler's Notch--A wild, rugged mountain pass northwest of Stowe, Smuggler's Notch is so treacherous that Route 108, the main road through the notch, is closed off because of snow for several months of the year.
- Stowe Ski Area--Some of the most difficult downhill ski trails can be found at Stowe, including the fearsome Front Four trails. This ski area is located on Mount Mansfield, the highest mountain in Vermont.
- Trapp Family Lodge--Famous the world over, the bucolic Trapp Family Lodge would not be out of place in Switzerland or Austria. Cross-country skiing is the name of the game at this upscale resort, located high above Stowe village.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Stowe.