A quaint coastal village hidden away in Southeast Connecticut.
Stonington, Connecticut may not be well known, but this coastal village in the southeastern part of the state is about as quaint a village as you will find on the New England coast. Set in a pristine location on a narrow peninsula, Stonington is a fog-shrouded hamlet with a laid-back air, little traffic, and cool ocean breezes that drift down Stonington's charming main street even on the hottest summer days.
While many of Stonington's attractions are connected to the beautiful Atlantic Ocean, the surrounding region has top wineries, placid rivers, huge casinos, and a number of historic towns and villages. In addition, the town of Mystic, a busy tourist center, is just a few minutes away. For many, though, there is no reason to stray beyond Stonington, which, while within shouting distance of bustling Mystic, is truly a world away.
FAST FACTS FOR STONINGTON, CONNECTICUT:
- Population (2000 census): 1,032
- Elevation: 10 feet
- Area Code: 860
- ZIP Code: 06378
- Distance from Providence, RI: 45 miles
- Location: Map of Stonington, CT
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND STONINGTON:
- Foxwoods Casino--Run by the Pequot Tribal Nation, the famous Foxwoods Casino is just a few miles from Stonington.
- Mystic Seaport--This living history museum, in nearby Mystic, gives a sense of Southeast Connecticut's rich seafaring history.
- Noah's--Stonington has a few terrific seafood restaurants, including Noah's, a charming old place that serves a variety of fresh fish daily.
- Old Lighthouse Museum--A lighthouse has been overseeing the coast around Stonington for nearly 200 years. The current lighthouse is now a museum, with exhibits on Stonington's history.
- Stonington Point--At the end of the main road through Stonington, this stunning spot has an unimpeded view of the Atlantic. A small beach is located here, too.
Looking for travel essays, restaurant and lodging reviews, as well as more information about Boston and the rest of New England? Check out Visiting New England.com. Also, go to Visiting Cooperstown.com, a site about a beautiful village in New York State.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Stonington.