A popular artist colony on beautiful Cape Ann.
Rockport, MA, a popular artist colony north of Boston, is perhaps the jewel of Cape Ann, a peninsula on the Atlantic Ocean. Rockport is made up of narrow streets lined with weathered cottages, funky shops, clam shacks, and art galleries. This salty old town is often seen in photography books, and is in fact home to Motif #1, a little red fishing shack that has been painted and photographed countless times.
The area surrounding Rockport is simply beautiful, from the rocky headlands of Halibut Point and the peaceful hamlets of Lanesville and Annisquam to the rocky quarries around Dogtown and the warm sands of the beaches of nearby Gloucester. And all of this is less than an hour from the Boston area. Perhaps this is why so many people opt for Rockport and Cape Ann when they vacation along the Massachusetts coast.
FAST FACTS FOR ROCKPORT, MASSACHUSETTS:
- Population (2000 census): 7,767
- Elevation: 75 feet
- Area Code: 978
- ZIP Code: 01966
- Distance from Boston: 40 miles
- Location: Map of Rockport, MA
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND ROCKPORT:
- Bearskin Neck--Many artists have galleries on Bearskin Neck, a charming strip of land in the center of Rockport. Art galleries line the narrow lanes, as do restaurants and gift shops. This is the part of Rockport often seen on calendars and in books.
- Emerson Inn by the Sea--This romantic inn has recently been renovated, and is one of the best choices for lodging in Rockport. Located just outside town, the Emerson Inn has expansive views of the ocean from its luxurious rooms.
- Good Harbor Beach--Just over the line in Gloucester, Good Harbor Beach is often packed with people, and for good reason; it is a beautiful beach with clean sand and plenty of parking.
- Halibut Point State Park--Cape Ann tends to be rockier than Cape Cod, and this is especially evident at spectacular Halibut Point. On a clear day, one can see three states from this former quarry site near the Gloucester line.
- Lobster Pool Restaurant--There are some great clam shacks in Massachusetts, but not many have a westward view over the water. Indeed, many people come to The Lobster Pool to enjoy great seafood dishes while watching the sun set over the ocean.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Rockport.