An historic, bustling seaport town on the New Hampshire coast.
New Hampshire may have a small coastline, but it packs a lot of interesting sites into its short seacoast. And Portsmouth may just be the crowning glory of the New Hampshire seacoast. This small city has so much going for it--historic homes, a lively downtown area, beautiful waterfront parks, an attractive harbor, and lots of cultural activities. All this in a city that is easily reachable from both Portland, ME and Boston.
In some ways, Portsmouth is a smaller version of nearby Portland, with its quaint, narrow downtown streets and old brick buildings. And like Portland, Portsmouth seems to resist urban sprawl while recognizing the importance of a vital, pedestrian-friendly downtown. Indeed, Portsmouth competes quite nicely with Portland and Burlington, VT as one of the best small cities in New England.
FAST FACTS FOR PORTSMOUTH, NEW HAMPSHIRE:
- Population (2000 census): 20,784
- Elevation: 20 feet
- Area Code: 603
- ZIP Code (for downtown Portsmouth): 03801
- Distance from Boston: 55 miles
- Location: Map of Portsmouth, NH
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND PORTSMOUTH:
- Isles of Shoals Steamship Company--If you are interested in seeing Portsmouth from another perspective, the Isles of Shoals Steamship Company has dinner and sightseeing cruises, as well as party ships and ferries.
- Prescott Park--This waterfront park, which has beautiful flower gardens and views across the river to Maine, is next to Strawberry Banke (see below) and a short walk from downtown.
- Seacoast Repertory Theatre--Portsmouth is a premier cultural center, and one of its most interesting venues for entertainment is the Seacoast Repertory Theatre, a nonprofit theatre and school for the performing arts.
- Strawberry Banke Museum--Located within walking distance of downtown Portsmouth, Strawberry Banke is an outdoor museum that shows the history of the area from the 1600s to the 1900s.
- Wentworth by the Sea--A grand old resort near the ocean in nearby New Castle, Wentworth by the Sea was completely renovated recently and is now a premier place for lodging in New England.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Portsmouth.