Old Forge, NY
A friendly resort town in the heart of the central Adirondacks.
Old Forge, NY, a resort town northeast of Utica in the deeply-wooded central Adirondacks, has been catering to tourists and vacationers for a very long time. Indeed, Old Forge is a place where generation after generation come to spend their summers (and other seasons, for that matter). It may not be the prettiest town, nor the type of place to be seen, but perhaps that is the charm to Old Forge.
Old Forge is surrounded by deep woods, twisty rivers, and pristine lakes, making it an outdoor lover's paradise. Hiking, biking, boating, and, in the winter, snowmobiling and skiing are all big in Old Forge. And on rainy days, the town's rustic shops become a haven for people looking for unique Adirondack gifts. If you are looking for a quiet retreat from the rat race, Old Forge isn't a bad place to be.
FAST FACTS FOR OLD FORGE, NEW YORK:
- Population (Approx.): 1,500
- Elevation (Approx.): 1750 feet
- Area Code: 315
- ZIP Code: 13420
- Distance from Utica, NY: 50 miles
- Location: Map of Old Forge, NY
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND OLD FORGE:
- Adirondack Scenic Railroad--Take a train ride through history on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, which starts in nearby Thendara and moves through pristine wilderness to the hamlet of Otter Lake.
- Enchanted Forest Water Safari--Kids of all ages can be seen lining up early for the water slides in this amusement park in Old Forge.
- Fulton Chain of Lakes--In the summer, people in canoes, kayaks, and other boats travel from Old Forge to Inlet (10 miles away) by way of the Fulton Chain of Lakes, a scenic waterway in the central Adirondacks.
- McCauley Mountain--Old Forge may be known more for its snowmobiling, but McCauley Mountain offers visitors to Old Forge some good skiing, too.
- Old Forge Hardware--An Adirondack landmark, Old Forge Hardware has everything from hammers to balsam pillows to books to bird feeders.
Read about The Tavern, a burger joint and pub in Eagle Bay, NY that is featured on Boston's Hidden Restaurants, a Boston restaurant guide.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Old Forge.