A cozy seaside town north of Boston.
Marblehead, Massachusetts, a coastal community about 20 miles north of Boston, has the feel of a Cornish village. Indeed, the settlers of Marblehead came from Cornwall, England, and apparantly wanted their New World town to look like, well, an OLD world town. Not much has changed since Colonial times; Marblehead has quaint, crooked lanes, beautiful old homes, inns, and bed and breakfasts, and spectacular ocean views.
There is much to do in Marblehead, including browsing through antique stores, enjoying some of the best restaurants north of Boston, and biking and walking along the hilly streets of Old Town and Marblehead Neck. Marblehead is not the easiest town to get to, as it is on a peninsula with few roads in or out of town, but if you can find Marblehead, you will certainly want to return again and again to this special place.
FAST FACTS FOR MARBLEHEAD, MASSACHUSETTS:
- Population (2000 census): 20,068
- Elevation: sea level
- Area Code: 781
- ZIP Code: 01945
- Distance from Boston: 19 miles
- Location: Map of Marblehead, MA
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND MARBLEHEAD:
- Crocker Park--A tiny, serene spit of land above Marblehead Harbor, Crocker Park is a great place to smell the salt air and lounge on a park bench.
- Fort Sewall--This park, at the very end of Old Town, is one of several places in Marblehead with stunning viewpoints of the ocean.
- Marblehead Christmas Walk and Holiday House Tour--The first weekend in December is a festive time in Marblehead, with a Christmas parade, a holiday house tour, and all kinds of entertainment.
- Marblehead Neck--Some of the wealthiest people in New England live on Marblehead Neck. This tiny peninsula is a great place for biking, jogging, or simply enjoying the views of Marblehead Harbor.
- Pellino's--Looking for a great restaurant in Marblehead? Pellino's, a romantic dining spot, is one of the best Italian restaurants in the area.
Boston Restaurant Blog is a blog that is part of Boston's Hidden Restaurants. Here you will find random musings on the Boston restaurant scene, as well as restaurants in other parts of the country.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Marblehead.