A bit of the Alps in Washington State.
A Bavarian village smack dab in the Cascade Mountains of Washington? It is true; Leavenworth, WA would not be out of place in Switzerland, Austria, or the south of Germany. But this charming mountain village is just a few short hours east of Seattle. And many folks from Seattle, as well as the rest of the country, come to Leavenworth to enjoy the quaint shops, German cuisine, and laid-back atmosphere.
Outside of Leavenworth, you will find some of the best scenery in Washington. Towering mountains rise from the wooded valleys; cascading rivers tumble through the forests; and winding roads curve up toward the sky. Indeed, the setting is what makes Leavenworth such a special destination for vacationers. That, and the abundant supply of cuckoo clocks, knockwurst and chocolate that can be had in this alpine village.
FAST FACTS FOR LEAVENWORTH, WASHINGTON:
- Population (2000 census): 2,074
- Elevation: 1,150 feet
- Area Code: 509
- ZIP Code: 98826
- Distance from Seattle, WA: 135 miles
- Location: Map of Leavenworth, WA
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND LEAVENWORTH:
- Cascade Mountains--Glaciers and high peaks make up this section of the Cascades, one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the country.
- Lake Chelan--About an hour from Leavenworth, beautiful Lake Chelan looks more like a river at times, since it is about 50 miles long and perhaps 1 mile wide, Lake Chelan winds its way through some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in Washington.
- Mountain Home Lodge--This romantic inn sits in a spectacular setting near Leavenworth. The Mountain Home Lodge has received praise from so many publications that there isn't enough room to list them all here.
- Oktoberfest Leavenworth--It is difficult to think of a better place to host a fun, exciting German oktoberfest than in the alpine village of Leavenworth.
- Village of Leavenworth--The small city of Leavenworth is an attraction in itself. Bavarian architecture is found throughout the mountain village, making it seem more like a community in the Alps of Europe.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Leavenworth.