Lakes, woods, and a ski race make this Wisconsin town popular.
As many cross-country skiers know, the small town of Hayward, set in the deep woods and lakes of northern Wisconsin is home to the American Birkebeiner, the largest ski race in North America. While the Birkie is huge in the Hayward area, here is a lot more to this hauntingly beautiful region than the ski race. Hayward and nearby Cable are centers for fishing, hiking, golf, boating, and some of the best mountain biking in Wisconsin.
For those looking for a more relaxing vacation, Hayward has good shopping and good dining options, as well as some great roads for wildlife and foliage viewing. And keep in mind that the spectacular Lake Superior is not far away from Hayward, making for a great day trip. If you love deep woods, lakes, and the feeling of being far away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, Hayward may be your vacation spot.
FAST FACTS FOR HAYWARD, WISCONSIN:
- Population (2000 census): 3,279
- Elevation: 1,200 feet
- Area Code: 715
- ZIP Code: 54843
- Distance from Minneapolis, MN: 145 miles
- Location: Map of Hayward, WI
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND HAYWARD:
- American Birkebeiner--The American Birkebeiner is the largest cross-country ski marathon in North America. The February race is 50 kilometers long, but if you want to do a shorter ski race, there is also a 25-kilometer race on the same day.
- Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival--This event, which takes place in September, is the largest off-road bike race in the United States. Much of the race takes place in deep woods on trails that are very challenging.
- Lake Superior--A fairly short drive northeast from Hayward, this is one lake that should not be missed. Lake Superior is simply mind-blowing in its size and beauty. Several breathtaking drives with views of the lake can be easily done in one day from the Hayward area.
- Telemark Resort--This rustic resort is located in the quiet little village of Cable. Festivities for the American Birkebeiner take place at the Telemark Resort, and many of the participants stay here.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Hayward.