Victorian charm makes this town a popular destination.
Ferndale, California is a photographer's dream; it is one of the most well-preserved Victorian villages on the entire West Coast, and it has a truly timeless, romantic quality to it. Quiet streets are filled with interesting shops and restaurants, and the Victorian houses are simply beautiful. Ferndale is one town where you do not really need a car, as so much can be seen simply by walking around the village.
If you decide to venture out of Ferndale, however, a number of attractions await. North of Ferndale is Redwood National Park; south of the village is Humboldt Redwoods State Park; and west of town is the magnificent Pacific Ocean. If you are looking for a peaceful, unpretentious vacation spot, Ferndale is a great place to visit, and a perfect base for seeing some of the best of what Northern California has to offer.
FAST FACTS FOR FERNDALE, CALIFORNIA:
- Population (2000 census): 1,382
- Elevation: 50 feet
- Area Code: 707
- ZIP Code: 95536
- Distance from San Francisco: 260 miles
- Location: Map of Ferndale, CA
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND FERNDALE:
- Cape Mendocino--Wild, hilly, and remote, this spectacular coastal area west of Ferndale can be reached by car via a loop road that ends at Humboldt Redwoods State Park (see below).
- Ferndale Village--The Victorian architecture in Ferndale is reason enough to visit this historic Northern California town.
- Humboldt Redwoods State Park--In some ways even more stunning than Redwoods National Park (see below), this state park is only a short drive south from Ferndale. Don't miss driving on the Avenue of the Giants.
- Redwood National Park--Often foggy and damp, this national park, which is a little ways north of Ferndale, contains some of the largest trees in North America.
- Victorian Mansion Inn--If you are looking for accomodations in Ferndale, the Victorian Mansion Inn should be on your short list of lodging choices. More than 100 years old and beautifully maintained, this inn is one of the nicest places to stay in Northern California.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Ferndale.